Aging In Place
Are You 65 or Older?
The National Aging in Place Council (NAIPC) says that more than 90 percent of older adults would prefer to age in place rather than move to senior housing. Some of the reasons for aging in place are:
- Aging in place allows for maximum amount of freedom for the individual(s).
- Remaining in one's home is comfortable with familiar surroundings.
- Living the rest of their days at home, in a safe environment contributes to a healthier, happier aging adult.
- Remaining in one's home allows a focus on independence and quality of life.
Aging Changes Us
The aging process includes changes in our body and our ability. Examples of the changes we experience include:
- Decrease in muscle strength and endurance
- Vision changes
- Mobility issues
- Difficulties hearing
- Greater risk of falling
What Can Be Done?
Unfortunately, not all homes are designed with aging adults in mind. As a result, some modifications will have to be made to make the home safe for the occupants. Some of the products available to assist with daily living include:
In The Bathroom
- Grab bars in the bathroom to assist with bathing and use of the toilet
- Installation of a toilet seat riser
- Hand-held shower head so the user may be seated while showering
- Clamp-on tub rails for additional support
- A transfer bench for easier, safe access to the shower
- Use of a bath lift to safely lower and raise the bather from the tub
Around The House
If mobility becomes an issue, the use of a walker will give the support one needs. If endurance when walking is a problem, a rollator is a better solution as it gives the support one needs and has a seat to allow the user to rest when he or she feels the need.
When sitting and rising from a chair becomes difficult, a lift chair may be the perfect solution. There are many models to choose from and the lift chair will become a functional and fashionable part of your home décor.
Access ramps allow the homeowner to get into and out of the house without navigating stairs. There are many types of ramps available based on you need or the need of your loved one.
Picking something up or reaching for something can be a problem so you may want to take a look at our selection of reachers. They are particularly useful for someone in a wheelchair or who is at risk of falling.
Aging in place may or may not be the right option for you as you age. It takes planning and discussion to decide what modifications will have to be made as you age. ADA Medical Supply has many of the products you may need to make staying in your home safe and comfortable.
Contact us online, by phone, 678-398-0505, or stop in to talk with one of our knowledgeable and experienced staff members about your needs!